Sunday, April 25, 2010

So Rude


like the lady who runs by every morning with her big yellow dog off leash tempting the coyotes and mocking all the other dogs behind their suburban fences and making them bark and bark and bark and wake the neighbors who wanted to sleep in, like me who is dreaming

about coyotes who are running off with ever waking neighbors with yellow leashes on their behinds who bark and bark and bark at the big lady’s mocking fences tempting the suburban yellow dog who, like me, is sleeping in this morning and dreaming big about

morning neighbors running with the lady on an ever leash by all the coyotes behind big yellow fences and leashed dogs that mock and mock and mock the tempting, sleeping, barking me.





Today's prompt was to write about the very first thing you hear someone say.  In our house, it was "So rude" after the dog woke me up, when I had hoped to sleep in.

10 comments:

  1. What fun and so clever! Loved this...and yea, that lady should probably be leashed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant! And funny ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the run-on structure (like the woman running in the beginning, like the dogs and coyotes who run/ think/ speak in their own ongoing tongue) and it kind of reminds me of this Billy Collins poem:

    http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/another-reason-why-i-don-t-keep-a-gun-in-the-hou/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting article in the NYTimes today about Coyote hunting with greyhounds...

    This is nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A dream unleashed... I really like the way you structured this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some places have lawyers, guns, and money. Sounds like you have big ladies, labs, and coyotes. Fun run on sentences with a run on theme.

    Best,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you seem to fall back into a dream. The mixed-up words capture a confused, dreamlike state so well.
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun and interesting concept. I'd prefer to be on the inside dreaming and not running with the fences!

    ReplyDelete
  9. from Therese B -- I agree with all praise above! It's neat to imagine you in a place with coyotes.

    ReplyDelete