Monday, April 12, 2010

The Elephant's Lunchbox


The elephant shared his box lunch
with the rhinoceros next door
who ate the goat’s cheese and the brie
and passed it to the boar.

“Pork! What is this blasphemy?
I’ll eat the chocolate cake
but the rest of this is off my diet
and might better suit the snake.”

Since pythons eat occasionally,
she had no appetite
but politely sipped some Perrier
then slipped it to the kite

who’d already had a buffet
at the sushi place last night
so he brought it to the monkeys
who grabbed it with delight.

Tearing the wrappings off the rest,
they squeezed the jellyroll,
poked baked crostini in their ears
and every other hole.

They tossed the wild mushroom tarts
and smeared the mayonnaise,
finger-painting condiments
in the potatoes lyonnaise,

hurled candied almond chocolate mousse,
against each other’s backs
licking up the tasty parts
in between attacks.

And so with raw abandon
the primates flung their feast
demonstrating elegantly
the divide of man and beast.




Today we were prompted to write a poem using a nonsense sentence we created. Mine was "the elephant shared his box lunch with the rhinoceros next door". 

15 comments:

  1. Oh BRAVO! This is so clever and well done ... each line made me smile as it moved to the next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an enjoyable romp! And to come up with a rhyme for mayonnaise too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was cute, I like it. I clearly didn't understand what to do for this prompt, but I get it after reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a fun read. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I doubt I'll ever read the words "potatoes lyonnaise" in a poem again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Primates do tend to make a mess of things, don't they? This was tremendous fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was fun, I would have liked a bite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So charming! Liked your work, especially this one, Mary Beth, and Body World...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hee hee! Great fun! (Though after recent encounters with young nieces and nephews, I'm not sure how much of a divide there really is! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE THIS POEM!! Love the images with the delightful rhyme and meter. You really captured some hilarious sentiments!

    Great stuff, Marie!

    ~Mark

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a lyrical poem called "The Effervescing Elephant" by Syd Barrett. If you google it, you can read his hilarious take. Well done, again!

    ~Mark

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Mark, and everone else for your comments. I will check out the poem you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great fun and some clever rhyming.

    ReplyDelete