Thursday, April 29, 2010

Like Origami, Pollen Grains Fold Just So


What I want to know-is
who folds the pollen so
to sneak the grains into my nose
to make secretions flow?

What hellish beast has practiced
this manipulating skill
designed to swell my sinuses
and make me feel so ill?

It’s a dreadful joke of nature
when blossoms thrill our eyes
that pollen rides the air waves, too,
with an invisible surprise.

I sneeze, I cough, I tear, I itch,
I seek all remedies-
Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl-
but nothing seems to ease.

And now I read this morning's rag,
and learn it's micro-fiends
who bend and fold and crease the weed
to trigger histamines.

What devilish work of art is this?
What monsters work these crimes?
I know this must sound crazy…
But I read it in the Times.



Today's prompt was to use the day's news headlines for inspiration, without necessarily reading the article(s). The title of my poem,  "Like Origami, Pollen Grains Fold Just So" is a real headline in the New York Times.  Here's the link if you want to read the article and see a video of a folding pollen grain: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/science/27obpollen.html

14 comments:

  1. I love it. Now I know who (or what) to blame for my seasonal sinus misery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, you pull off the rhythm and rhyme so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you see it in the The Times, it’s so! Great job of describing the misery caused by allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grains look like puffed rice. Sorry about the sinuses, but I enjoyed the poem that oozed from them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done ...thanks for sharing your words again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Erin, Marianne, Ron, Francis, Wayne, I haven't figured out how to properly respond to everyone's comments, but I appreciate them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. itz enuf to drive one mad!!! now whrz my kleenex... this was absolutely marvelous reading i shall read it when my head is filled like a lead balloon and try to laugh... glad to have stopped by!!! a life in the day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! Poor you. Hope you feel better soon or they find a miracle cure. I read recently that a teaspoonful of honey a day is supposed to help.

    http://thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely blooming lovely! Weaving drug names into the mix is very clever. Pity about the effect it has on you though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. So funny--I used the same headline! Poem on!

    ReplyDelete