Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bipolar Boy


 
What if I object      No!
he objects       he rises again
screeching     with temporary madness
spilling over     with panic
like lava             love  
brimming with    remorse
pyroclastic            noise and chasm-deep
fury                            fear
pink embers burning    my skin my eyes
all that he loves           will sting at first
as ash builds slowly     intensely, painfully
from the outside in        from the inside out
quieting, breathing        then a mother’s arms will cool
until warm again to touch      while I taste our tears
and forgive again          again and again


Today's poem is called a "cleave" poem.  It's meant to be read as two separate vertical poems and a third poem when read horizontally.  I hadn't heard of one until today.  If you are interested in learning more about these poems or the April NaPoWriMo Challenge, check out http://readwritepoem.org/blog/2010/04/14/napowrimo-14-you-want-me-to-write-a-what/

12 comments:

  1. You have written and excellent cleave poem about a very difficult subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've done a great job with the prompt. Well done.

    http://thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like all 3 of your poems. It's amazing how you can read each one separately and get different impressions and then read it all together and feel the unity in the piece. Love the visual fissure between the poems!

    Nice job!

    ~Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a difficult subject and you've written an excellent cleave poem! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. The sort of thing the form was intended for.
    (I shall now take my stickfigure poem and hide in the closet) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I think you captured the essence of the moment well -- both halves fit together nicely, yet each stand alone. Well done.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, this suits the form really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful job with this puzzle of a prompt, and with one of the most challenging topics one can imagine. Courage and skill went into this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, everyone. I sooooo appreciate your encouragement. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really powerful and well-done--you really know how to make this form sing(:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like what you've done here with a difficult prompt.

    http://thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. from Therese B -- one of the best cleave poems I've seen. The form and content work superbly well together. The meaning of "cleave" in the context of mother/son is very profound. Great job.

    ReplyDelete