Sitting in spring church clothes
eating spaghetti your sisters boiled from a box
you probably bought last fall,
I see your kitchen for the first time-
grand and warm, a poor girl’s dream,
and learn your girls have voices like flutes.
I discover you’ve just had your walls painted
in the same colors as my new house,
3000 miles and a lifetime away-
colors called liberty path, spring meadow,
and maple syrup, pigments and names
from our common childhoods.
Meeting your young daughters I see
they have hair that matches yours, a shade
like the dahlias’ opening on my front porch,
and their father talks of the ski trip
they will take one day to teach them how-
because you wanted them to ski, like me.
We reunite on this April day in your house
after the wake, the funeral, the burial,
the long sad drive I make alone in a rented car,
after too many years, and I grieve
it can’t be you who shows me your home
so like the dreamy sketches we made on tracing paper as girls.
Today's NaPoWriMo prompt was to write about something or someone you left behind. This poem is about a childhood friend I, sadly, only had rare contact with as we got busy with our grown up lives.
Today's NaPoWriMo prompt was to write about something or someone you left behind. This poem is about a childhood friend I, sadly, only had rare contact with as we got busy with our grown up lives.
Thanks for visiting. This is so poignant. So many people we leave behind without ever meaning to.
ReplyDelete"learn your girls have voices like flutes"
ReplyDeleteHow pretty!
Pamela
Reminds me of a few friends I've left behind. So is the nature of life I guess. Great work! I really enjoyed reading this piece!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful... really, really beautiful
ReplyDeleteA very touching scene so well captured.
ReplyDeleteThis is so sad and beautiful! I love your writing style. You really have a talent for these RWP challenges!!!
ReplyDeleteWow! So beautiful and so poignant.
ReplyDeletefrom Therese B -- What can I say? I know the background. You have done a really beautiful job with this poem. It is heartbreaking. Keep writing. This is so fine a tribute.
ReplyDelete