In locking the doors at night,
the front door’s thumb sized button,
the back door’s dull steel peg,
and checking the bulb on the front porch light,
and checking the bulb on the front porch light,
Father’s duties are complete,
the bills paid,
the oil changed,
the lawn mowed,
and because of this evening ritual
to keep out the ogres, the robbers, the uninvited,
he and I sleep deeply
all our lives.
This is response to a prompt on "We Write Poems" website: write a poem about door(s) in your life.
This is response to a prompt on "We Write Poems" website: write a poem about door(s) in your life.
I love a short poem that hits me between the eyes. This did it. Very concrete, yet implies trust, love and safety. Love it, Marie.
ReplyDeleteLord, I hope so! I agree with Linda. The love, trust, and safety anchor me as a reader.
ReplyDeletewell expressed poem about some universal needs...love and trust.
ReplyDeletehttp://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2010/06/lavender-key.html
One of the most important jobs of a parent is to keep children safe. Your poem made that point well.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderfully protective a home's father can be! I love the blunt, finality of the day - doors locked, day over.
ReplyDelete- Dina
From Therese B -- I love the detail of "Father" rather than "Dad", etc. That formality of "Father" lends an extra dimension to the poem -- a respect and dignity that generates simple daily rituals, duty and responsibility. For me, the "I" of this poem could be either a daughter, a son, or even perhaps a spouse (an old-fashioned way of calling a husband is "Father"?).
ReplyDeleteI could see my father doing just that.
ReplyDeletesky as the canvas of my thoughts
well taken....thanks for sharing this
ReplyDelete