You took me to the beginning place but you
didn’t know it was the beginning
the river tugging at our ankles
drawing us in
to where the brown murky water
blended with the blood and fluids
of our mother’s womb.
We laughed and slept
heat melting our minds
currents tangling our limbs.
Later, you found some akee at the river’s lip
poisonous heart-shaped fruit
reminding me of our grandmothers
and their warnings.
When our love overflowed
seeping into the damp soil
I could feel it bearing down
pulling towards the river’s froth
suspended, swirling, like sediment looking for a hold
where it would later settle,
conjugate,
propagate,
generate roots
and join the earth of our forebears.
From the Author:
ReplyDeleteThis poem was written in response to RWP #118. The title, "Awash" refers to one of Ethiopian's major rivers. An "akee" is a wild African fruit which has some edible parts but the fruit itself is poisonous.
Such a wonderful story from the past that is also eternal...you did a very good job of taking us to the place where we all feel connected.
ReplyDeleteThe swirl and rush of the water adds to the heady sense of urgency of making love. And I like the idea of the sediment trying to take hold.
ReplyDeleteVivid description of the river. Nicely done.
ReplyDeleteThis so was wonderfully magical, I read it a second time -- fine piece...
ReplyDelete...rob
Image & Verse
Marie,
ReplyDeleteI love this! Especially the last stanza. Very well done!
Pamela
Really, really nice work. I can feel the power of the river's swirling.
ReplyDelete"When our love overflowed
ReplyDeleteseeping into the damp soil
I could feel it bearing down
pulling towards the river’s froth
suspended, swirling, like sediment looking for a hold"
I could really feel the life force streaming this poems. Very rich and lush.
I like the earthy imagery that really ties in with the idea of roots.-Irene
ReplyDeleteBeautifully done. I could feel the pull of the river in this, and I like how you paralleled the live-giving force of the river and the earth with the womb.
ReplyDelete-Nicole